Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Could it be the Holy Spirit working?

I have to be true to the purpose of this blog and record what I experience, no matter how mundane it might seem to someone reading it.  And, if I don't keep a record of my days, I will forget things that might seem to be unimportant.

Today I was killing time waiting to complete a transaction for a zero-turn mower in the little town of Fort Payne, AL.  The transaction time was stretching past lunch, so I decided to eat and then check to see if the paperwork was complete.

I went to our favorite restaurant, Chow King Buffet, and when the hostess was seating me at a table I asked if they had a booth available...just because they are more comfortable.  She found one in the far back.  As I was coming back with my first plate of food, the hostess came back with a Hispanic father named Santos with his young son.  I overheard that they had wanted a booth.  I immediately said they could have mine since I hadn't started eating and I moved over to the table next to them.  Not a big thing at all, but me moving just flowed naturally, not contrived.  They waitress thanked me profusely, and I made small talk with the father.  He was from a small town nearby, and during the course of the conversation, I found out what he did for a living.  Then he told me of his past.  In 2013, three of his teenage children died in a house fire. He showed me the burns on his arm. That led to a deeper conversation.  He said it took over a year before he could gather enough motivation to start working again.  Eventually, we exchanged phone numbers, and I hope to hire him to help with cutting some trees on our property.  Oh, the little boy enjoyed climbing on the booth seats much more than I would have!

OK, nothing big, but I connected with him instead of just working on my to-do list.  We'll see how it turns out, but I pray the Holy Spirit will work in our relationship so both of us will be built up spiritually.  Also, in every stop along my way today, I had conversations; some were meaningful.  I pray the Holy Spirit will take the small connections, and make them bigger...for the glory of our Creator.  And finally, even though there was a three hour delay getting paperwork at the store where I bought the lawnmower, it didn't bother me at all.  I might even have had a God-appointed meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment