Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Where the rubber meets the road

Where the rubber meets the road.

I know this is mundane stuff, but I'm using this blog to document anything related to my life as a follower of Jesus.  I'm doing this to help hold me more accountable for the way I spend my resources of time, talents, and treasure.  My prayer is that this process will help bring my entire life under the control of the Holy Spirit.  After all, if I tell people that I am a Christian, a follower of Christ, the actions in my life should reflect what I say.

The issue I'm facing right now will impact my life and those around me for over a year.  My wife and I are building a Christian retreat.  We have been in the process for years, and are making steady progress.  But, we are funding it ourselves, and 'we ain't rich'!  Last week I received a job offer for about three times the money I can make in our local area.  But it will require that I work away from home for at least 14 months.  If I take the job, we can pay off our credit card debt, build the last three structures we envision for the retreat, and I'll come back with computer programming skills I don't currently have.  Unfortunately, that would come at the cost of rarely seeing my family.  Since our youngest child started college last year, it isn't like I have to be here for the kids, but since all four will be home this summer, it would be hard not to see / work along side them.

I've always taken the easy way out in the past.  My criteria for taking a job has always been that it pay well, and be in an interesting part of the country.  I don't want to take the easy route any longer.  And, on top of that, my church is amazing!  The people are energized, supportive, and seeking to know God.  The pastor has a love for his 'flock', is willing to address difficult issues within the church, explains God's Word clearly and pointedly, and fervently desires that our city know God!  When I look at my life here, I feel I'd be an idiot to leave.  Why can't I at least be having problems with my wife?  I could then 'justify' leaving so each of us could have our 'space'. Unfortunately (fortunately!) my wife is amazing!  All the time we are together is good!  How many men can honestly say they feel that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence?  I can, and do.

So, the pro argument for taking the job is that: the money is very good, it will give us a lot of breathing room financially, and if I don't take this opportunity, it won't come along again.  The con argument is that I feel I'm in almost exactly the place I've always wanted to be in life.  I know, when I read this blog, I will question my sanity if I take the job.  But, making the most money, in the most interesting place, with a job I like, is what I've always done.  And old habits are hard to break.

For better or worse, I'll make and share the decision this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment